This Meade LX70 6” Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope has:
- 6” f/12 Maksutov-Cassegrain optics
- LX70 equatorial mount with steel tripod
- manual slow motion controls (motor drive optional)
- 8 x 50mm finderscope
- 2" rack-and-pinion focuser
- 2" star diagonal with 1.25" adapter
- 26mm and 9mm Plössl eyepieces
This Meade LX70MAK6 puts a 6" f/12 Maksutov-Cassegrain optical tube on a robust German equatorial mount. The high power all-spherical optics and small secondary obstruction of this 6" Meade LX70MAK6 Mak-Cass provide sharp, high-contrast images of the Moon, planets, binary stars, star clusters, and more.
The Meade LX70MAK6 6" Maksutov-Cassegrain has none of the annoying diffraction spikes typical of a reflector telescope, and none of the faint violet haze of chromatic aberration you'll find on the planets and bright stars in an achromatic refractor. Optically very sharp, this Meade 6" Maksutov has the high power optical performance to keep you busy observing for many years to come.
This Meade Maksutov-Cassegrain works well visually from city and suburban sites, as its 6" aperture and f/12 focal ratio keeps moderately light-polluted sky backgrounds dark to avoid washing out faint detail. As with any scope, however, transporting the Meade LX70MAK6 to a dark sky observing site will markedly improve its performance on faint deep sky objects at low powers.
In addition, the 1800mm focal length of this Meade makes it easy to achieve the high powers needed for detailed lunar and planetary observing. Simply add an optional Barlow lens, and/or additional optional higher power eyepieces, and this Meade telescope will provide you with crisp and sharply detailed close-up views of the Moon and planets, as well as excellent binary star splitting.
The scope’s lightweight optical tube and easily assembled mount make it quick to set up and enjoy – either in your back yard or at a distant dark sky site. Its high power/high contrast optics, precision mount, and reasonable price make it an excellent buy for the beginning and advanced astronomer alike.
This Meade Telescope’s Optical System . . .
This Telescope’s Mount . .
- Maksutov-Cassegrain optical tube: 6” aperture 1800mm focal length f/12 Maksutov-Cassegrain. The lightweight optical tube has an attached Vixen-style dovetail that slides fore and aft in the mount to precisely balance the scope, no matter what the accessory load. The aluminum optical tube weighs only 12 pounds, making it easy to transport and assemble in the field. Setup and takedown times are exceptionally fast, as a single large hand-tighten knob holds the optical tube in place.
- Finderscope: 8 x 50mm straight-through achromatic design.
- Focuser: internal moving mirror focusing with focusing knob on the rear cell.
- Star Diagonal: 2" mirror type, with 1.26" eyepiece adapter.
- Two Eyepieces: 1.25” 26mm Plössl (69x) and 9mm Plössl (200x). The 0.72° field of the 26mm eyepiece is a little over half again as wide as the full Moon, for exciting views of our nearest heavenly neighbor. The 9mm eyepiece provides a high power 0.25° field, for close-up views of the Moon and planets, as well as binary star splitting.
- LX70 German equatorial mount: The Meade LX70 mount has smooth manual slow motion controls with brass worm-gear drives in both axes for visual observing. Large slow-motion control knobs allow you to easily track the stars while wearing gloves or mittens. To do a casual polar alignment for visual use quick and easy, there’s a latitude scale and fine adjustment controls in both altitude and azimuth. The easily transportable Meade LX70 mount weighs only 37 pounds, including tripod and one 11.4 pound counterweight. The complete scope weighs only 49 pounds.
- Adjustable height tripod: The tripod has steel legs with a center leg brace for rigidity, with excellent damping characteristics. The center leg brace is drilled to form a convenient accessory tray that holds 1.26" and 2" eyepieces to keep them up out of the dew-soaked grass.
- Mount Options: A dual-axis battery operated motor drive is available as an option to allow hands-free visual track and astrophotography. An optional polar alignment scope is available as options to allow astrophotography. A set of optional vibration suppression pads #4525 under the tripod feet will improve the telescope damping time for steadier very high power observing.
This product does not have supplied accessories... or supplied accessories have not been assigned.